Sunday, January 31, 2021

The World is My Dinner Party: Andorra

 This here is escudella - an Andorran soup of amazing deliciousness. The cook, aka the Fuzzband, tells me it is the national dish of Andorra. It is eaten on Sundays, and today is Sunday! Pure coincidence. What is not a coincidence is that I want to eat it until I explode. Fact. It has cabbage, and chickpeas and (homemade) sausage, and chicken, and bacon, and pasta, and YUM! It all started, from what I could tell from my bastion of grading, with boiling stock from a smoked ham hoc. That baby boiled for ages. 

The recipe the Fuzzband used was by Notes from a Messy Kitchen. Five out of five stars, would totally nag him to make again! 

Now, anyone who knows me knows I love, love, love dessert. As I am fond of saying, my mother may be a pescaterian, but I could be a dessertarian. I present, in wonder, Crema Andorrana:

Crema Andorrana is a delicate lemony custard with a semi-cooked meringue on top. Instead of a caramel the Fuzzband spun some sugar into flames. Yes, peeps, that is spun sugar. He is cleaning the kitchen as I type. We didn't have a lemon to zest so we used limoncello made by friends, and vanilla essence made with bourbon by the same friends, and yes, it is exactly as good as your salivating mouth is telling you it is. The Fuzzband used, more or less, the recipe from Naptime Prep Cook, but with some serious consultation from a recipe on Cook the Cake (yes, it is in Catalan). 

Definitely also a keeper. But serve with spoons, not forks. Also, we have leftovers!

Andorra's location (source: Wikipedia)


No comments:

Post a Comment